SJSports Online
High School Boys Basketball

High School Girls Basketball

Basketball Links


High School Basketball (Playoffs):
Bishop Eustace Slams The Door On Camden Catholic

Saturday, March 7, 1998

By Art Redd
SJSports Staff Writer

As the game with Camden Catholic at Bishop Eustace was about to begin, both neighboring schools had their cheering sections packing the house to capacity. Earlier in the regular season, Bishop Eustace won both meetings against Camden Catholic. The Crusaders would make it three in a row and defeat the Irish 57-47 to advance to the Group A South Jersey State Finals. The finals would be against St. Joseph (Metuchen) at Lakewood High School. Bishop Eustace would dominate the second half and control the interior game to come from behind and win at home.


The first half was a well played, well coached first and second quarters. Each team would not hold a large lead in this seesaw battle. Camden Catholic would hold a one point, 28-27 lead at the half.

When the clock started to indicate the beginning of the third quarter, the Crusaders began to work the middle with Robert Sargent and Andre Williams. It was Sargent's basket that ignited his team and the home crowd. On an inbounds pass, Seargent received a pass from the baseline and with one dribble, he went up with a two handed slam that brought the home crowd to its feet. It was the beginning of the second half dominance that Eustace held over the Irish. From the 5:45 mark in the third quarter, the Crusaders would go on a 14-0 run that lasted over 3 minutes. Eustace would end the quarter with a 45-35 lead.

The defense would pick up for both teams in the final quarter. Each team could not score a basket with just 5:34 remaining in the game. Kevin Owens 3-pointer with 4:50 left on the clock, finally gave Camden Catholic some momentum. But with the clock on the Crusaders' side, they began to run some of that time off. The Irish would pull within 5 points at the 2:32 mark. As the clock was ticking away, so were the chances of a Camden Catholic comeback. Bishop Eustace would go on to advance to the state finals.

©1998 South Jersey Sports Online