SJSports Online
High School Links

Football Links


High School Football:
Barker Passes Tigers To Win Over Irish

Saturday, September 26, 1998

By Gary Steiner
SJSports Staff Writer

Woodrow Wilson's Raymond Barker threw two touchdown passes on route to a 22-12 win over Camden Catholic at Shamrock Field. The Irish kept the scoring close throughout the game, but the Tigers offensive attack proved to be too much in this Olympic National Division showdown.


On their first possession, the Irish drove down to the Tigers 26-yard line, but the defense held on a 4th and 5, and Woodrow Wilson took over on downs. Each team then exchanged punts. On the Tigers second possession, Raymond Barker threw a 34-yard pass to Devon Goree which brought Woodrow Wilson down to the Irish 19-yard line. But a sack by Anthony Dandridge on a 4th and 4 ended that drive, giving the Irish the ball back on their own 26. But then the Tiger's Kevin Wynn intercepted a pass on the 25-yard line and ran it in for a touchdown. The extra point attempt was wide right, making the score 6-0 with 1:08 left in the 1st quarter.


On the succeeding kickoff, Camden Catholic's J.P. Hammond ran the ball back to the 50-yard line. But that drive ended when the Irish fumbled on the Tigers 28-yard line. Two penalties spoiled the Tigers' next drive, forcing them to punt on a 4th and 16 at their own 37-yard line. The Irish then went three and out, punting to the Woodrow Wilson 25-yard line. Woodrow Wilson then had a touchdown pass to Nate Shelton called back on an illegal motion penalty. Then the Irish's Anthony Briggs got a sack that led to a Woodrow Wilson punt at their own 24-yard line. The snap was mishandled, which gave the Irish the ball on the Tigers' 24-yard line with 0:47 left in the half. A sack by the Tigers' Lamont Williams as the half ran out helped keep the Irish from scoring.


The Tigers opened the second half starting from their own 29-yard line. Running back Ben Gandy had two long runs for the Tigers, first for 23 yards, and the second for 35 yard, but that one was called back on a clipping penalty. A pass interference call against Camden Catholic gave the Tigers the ball at the Irish 22-yard line, but the Irish defense held on a 4th and 4 at the 15-yard line. Camden Catholic managed some yardage before being forced to punt from their own 33-yard line. On the Tigers' next possession, Devon Goree caught a 70-yard pass for a touchdown with 2:56 left in the 3rd quarter. Ben Gandy's run for the two point conversion made the score 14-0.


Camden Catholic's next drive was keyed by a 47 yard run from Terrique Wallace down to the Tigers' 18-yard line. Mike Carlino scored the touchdown on a 1-yard run. The point after was negated by an offside penalty, and the second attempt was wide left, leaving the score 14-6 as the 3rd quarter ended.


The 4th quarter opened with Rashad Baker returning the kickoff for a touchdown, but it was called back on a clipping penalty. Then Camden Catholic's Tony Gravinese intercepted a pass on the Irish 22-yard line. Then on offense, Gravinese caught a 24-yard pass to take them to the 46. Another catch by Gravinese set up a 1st and goal from the 4-yard line. Anthony Johnson scored the touchdown on a 3-yard run with 8:36 left in the quarter. The two point conversion attempt failed, making the score 14-12.

Woodrow Wilson scored on their next possession with a 52-yard pass to Rashad Baker with 7:28 left in the game. The two point conversion, a toss from Raymond Barker to Ben Gandy, made the score 22-12.

The Irish began their next possession form their own 26-yard line. A pass to Tony Gravinese put the Irish on the Woodrow Wilson 35-yard line. A pass interference call took them down to the 20. On a 4th and 14 at the 24-yard line, a Brian Cassano pass to J.P. Hammond gave them a 4th and goal on the 8. A sack by the Tigers' Jason Williams gave them a 2nd and goal from the 18-yard line. But on a 4th and goal at the 17-yard line, the Tigers' defense held, allowing them to take over on downs with 3:51 left. From there, Woodrow Wilson was able to run out the clock, coming away with the 22-12 win.

FBWWil8thumb.jpg FBWWil6thumb.jpg


Photos by Art Redd

©1998 South Jersey Sports Online
A Product of WOW Internet Solutions