SJSports Online
High School Links

Ice Hockey Links


High School Ice Hockey:
Clearview Dominates Edgewood

Friday, January 15, 1999

By Mike Costantino
SJSports Staff Writer

In a SJHSIHL game played on Friday night at Hollydell, Clearview totally dominated Edgewood, winning by a score of 7-1. Clearview had a lot of players contribute as six different players scored with Rob Coble tallying two.

Greg Fletcher scored in the first five minutes on an end to end rush to give Clearview the early 1-0 lead. With continued pressure throughout the period, Edgewood goalie Andrew Mickus kept Clearview off the scoreboard until, with two minutes remaining, Ryan Arnold scored on the power play with assists going to Mike Gooch and John Meenan. Edgewood closed the gap when Mike Glick scored with twenty five seconds left in the first period to make the score 2-1.


When Rob Coble scored the first of his two goals early in the second period, with assists going to Chris Hutchinson and Patrick Sullivan, Clearview looked as if they were about to take control. But Mickus continued his outstanding play in nets and despite being outshot 19-2 in the second period, Edgewood entered the third period trailing only 3-1.

Tensions became high early in the third period as an Edgewood player was shaken up in what appeared to be a clean check. After play resumed, the hitting seemed to intensify and some ill-advised penalties were taken.

Clearview took advantage on the power play as Patrick Sullivan scored with an assist going to Rob Coble, and it was 4-1 with seven minutes left to play. With Edgewood more concerned about retribution for their injured teammate than mounting any offense, Chris Hutchinson scored on the power play. The assists went to Dan Cargill and Greg Fletcher. With just under four minutes remaining, it was 5-1. Just six seconds later Gunner Fox scored for Clearview and it was 6-1 with the lone assist going to Dan Cargill.

Rob Coble scored his second of the game with less than two minutes left with an assist going to Patrick Sullivan and a 7-1 lead. With the play continuing to deteriorate, the referees used good judgment in allowing the clock to run out before anything unfortunate happened.

Photos by Joanne Costantino

HHClear7thumb.jpg HHClear5thumb.jpg HHClear6thumb.jpg

©1998 South Jersey Sports Online
A Product of WOW Internet Solutions