SJSports Online
High School Links

Football Links

High School Football:
Haddon Heights Survive Gateway's Late Rally

Monday, October 10, 2005

By George Brookings
SJSports Special Correspondent

Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do. It seem as if the rain just would not end this weekend leaving the decision to reschedule the game between Gateway and Haddon Heights to another available day. Well that day happened to be a holiday for most and the Garnets would host Gateway in a Colonial Conference Patriot divisional game. Haddon Heights did what they had to do during the second half of this game on defense as they watched their lead diminish during the final quarter. Gateway had lined up their offense looking to tie the game on a two point conversion, but the Garnets would watch that pass fall incomplete. Haddon Heights would hold on to their slim lead the rest of the way and defeat the Gators 14-12.

The field was wet and muddy, the temperatures were a bit on the chilly side and the fans had to dress for the possibility of more rain. That sounds like classic weather for a football game. Once the opening whistle was blown indicating the start of this game, both teams began to put their game plan into work. Haddon Heights was trying to end a two game losing streak, while Gateway was looking for their first win of the season. There was a three way tie in the Patriot division before the weekend started and the Garnets were looking to keep pace with Audubon and Woodbury. All three of those teams had one loss and one win in their division. For Gateway, it would be their first division game of the season.

Haddon Heights would jump out to a 7-0 lead when Lamar Brown capped off the Garnets scoring drive with a 4-yard touchdown run and Brendon Butler extra point kick. After both teams traded possessions, Heights went to work again on the ground. Brown was able to move the ball deep into Gateway’s end of the field. Quarterback Eric Newell completed a 17-yard touchdown pass to Joel Fisher and the Garnets led 14-0 at the half. It wasn’t until the fourth quarter that Gateway was able to finalize a scoring drive. Dave Drach found Mike Knuble open for a 17-yard touchdown pass and the Gators trailed 14-6 after the fail extra point attempt. On their next possession, Knuble took matters in his own hands by running past the interior defense and did not stop until 47 yards later and the touchdown. The two point conversion pass to tie the game was incomplete. After that possession, Haddon Heights was able to hold off Gateway for the win.

Photos by Mark Fletcher

Copyright South Jersey Sports Online Inc.