SJSports Online
High School Boys Soccer

High School Girls Soccer

Clubs & Associations

Soccer Links

High School Soccer:
Williams Scores with 4:23 Left as Lenape Defeats Cinnaminson 3-2

Sunday, October 31, 2004

By Boog Williams
SJSports Staff Writer

The South Jersey Coaches Tournament Finals were held at Rutgers-Camden University this Sunday. With the wind wiping off the Delaware River, which had an effect on the game, most of the game was played at the end closest to the baseball diamond.

With 32:30 left in the first half, Lenape’s Danielle Shine, with the wind at her back, crossed a ball from the left. The ball went up high, hit the ground around the six-box and bounced high in the air. Cinnaminson’s Keeper, Lauren Wojcik, jumped to grab it but was distracted by Lindsay Walsh. The ball bounced off Wojcik’s hand and just crossed over the line, without hitting the ground, as Walsh was yelling it was a goal. The Linesman agreed and Lenape took a 1-0 lead off of a wind helped goal. After the first set of substitutions for Lenape, defensive back Claudia Nguyen rung a shot off of the post, also from the left side of the field, but no one was there to put in the rebound. With 20:05 left in the half, Lenape’s Jamie Kunkel took a shot from the top left of the 18-box and slid the ball past the diving Wojcik to make the score 2-0. In the sign of a leader, Cinnaminson’s Sweeper, Jenny Matteson, told Wojcik to keep her head up. After the goal, Cinnaminson started to take the game to the Indians with 2 opportunities, but Danielle Nettleton continued to turn them away. The first attempt was on a cross from the right as Kin Snyder headed to the corner, but was stopped by Nettleton. Moments later, again a cross from the right, Nettleton and Brittany Shields collided in the air as Nettleton came down with the ball. The half ended with Lenape up 2-0.

With the wind in the second half, Cinnaminson kept the ball in the Indians’ end. With 33:30 left in the half, Kristen Tricocci broke in on the right and fired a shot on goal, but was turned away by Nettleton. Just over a minute later, Shields of Cinnaminson crossed the ball from the left, about 30 yards out, to the far post on the ground. Lenape’s players thought the keeper Nettleton was going to get the ball, but she was screened, and the ball rolled past a diving Nettleton into the corner of the net. About 10 minutes later, Cinnaminson, aided by the wind, kicked a long high ball that bounced over the head of sweeper Erin Marshall and was run down by Dana Giordano. While sliding for the ball, as Nettleton was coming out and Marshall closing, Giordano kicked the ball with her left foot and put it into the same corner as Shields’ goal. The game was tied 2-2. Just a couple of minutes later, Cinnaminson’s Meaghan Reilly shot a volley over the goal. With time running down to 5 minutes left, Lenape took the ball down the right and crossed to the left against the wind. Allison Williams received the pass, drove to her left and kicked the ball with her left foot to the far right post. The shot went into the upper corner with 4:23 left in the game to give Lenape a 3-2 lead. The game ended with Cinnaminson pressuring one last time, but again turned away, as Lenape wins the 2004 Girls Coaches Tournament 3-2.

In boy’s action, Shawnee defeated St. Augustine Prep 1-0 with a goal scored with 21 minutes and 50 seconds left in the first half.

Photos by Boog Williams

Copyright South Jersey Sports Online Inc.