SJSports Online
High School Links

Football Links

High School Football:
Holy Cross Claims Divisional Title With Last Second Reception

Friday, November 29, 2002

By Jerome Michaels
SJSports Special Correspondent

Even though this was the traditional Thanksgiving football game between Holy Cross and Moorestown, this weekend's matchup had a lot at stake for both teams. Moorestown's senior runningback Albert Young was looking to rush for his second 2,000-yard season in his last game as a high school student. Both of these teams were also playing for the Burlington/Olympic Patriot Division championship. Young would rush for over 200 yards in this game. Holy Cross would win the game with a touchdown reception by London Fryar with 13 seconds remaining in the game. The Lancers come from behind 35-34 victory gave them the divisional title and now they look to capture the Parochial 3 State Championship next weekend.

Last year's contest between these two teams combined for 77 points with the Lancers winning by seven points. This game was yet another offensive battle with 36 points scored between the two before halftime. Quarterback Rob Curley tossed two touchdown receptions to James Townsend for 7-yards and London Fryar for 21-yards to account for the 15 points Holy Cross scored in the first and second quarters. Moorestown used the ground attack for their second quarter scores, but the first was a 23-yard touchdown reception by Dereck Faulkner in the first quarter. Young and Conor Hadden accounted for the touchdowns scored right before the half.

Holy Cross would take the lead in the third quarter on Curley's keeper from 5-yards out and the Lancers led 22-21. The seesaw battle continued with Young giving the lead back to Moorestown with his 8-yard run late in the third quarter. The extra point failed but the Quakers still led by a 27-22 score going into the final quarter. Faulkner's 79-yard reception scampering through the secondary seemed to be the score to put this game out of reach with 6:50 remaining in the game. But the Lancers scored a touchdown on a screen pass to Townsend set up the heroics in the final seconds. Fryar kept his eye and concentration on the ball when it would thrown his way. Moorestown's Tyrus Mateo got a hand on the ball, but Fryar kept with the play for the dramatic come-from-behind victory.

Photos by Mark Fletcher

©2002 South Jersey Sports Online