Ad SJSports Online
High School Links

Ice Hockey Links

High School Ice Hockey:
Weaver's Overtime Goal Advances Moorestown

Monday, February 6, 2006

By Vincent Lewis
SJSports Staff Writer

The second round of the SJHSIHL began with Cherokee 2, fresh off of their victory against Paul VI, traveling to the Igloo to take on Moorestown. Enjoying their first round bye, the home team appeared to have the early momentum as they would take the early one goal lead. Cherokee 2 would respond by not only tying the game but also by taking a one goal lead heading into the third period. Colin Corley tied this game for Moorestown early in the third, but after that goal the two goalies, Stephen Broadt and Max Paluszynski, turned away every shot headed towards the net. It took an overtime period to decide this game and when Mike Weaver's second goal of the game crossed the goal line, Moorestown would begin to enjoy their 3-2 victory.

This was a game were one team was looking for respect while the other team trying to regain respect. Which ever team you decide to put into those categories when watching Cherokee 2 and Moorestown competing at the Igloo, it definitely was a very entertaining playoff game. This was a hard hitting, fast pace, high intensity game that neither team wanted to lose. Sure the team not coming away with the win would drop down to the loser's bracket, but this was about two teams playing for respect. Sounds like a playoff game to me.

Moorestown had the edge at the start of this game controlling the puck for most of the period. They would be rewarded with their efforts when Weaver lift the puck up and over Broadt's left pad giving Moorestown the 1-0 lead with 12:04 showing on the clock. Cherokee would respond with just 1:19 remaining in the first period when Drew Williams' shot hit Paluszynski's stick and bounced into the net. Moorestown would then start the second period with a 5 on 3 advantage that Cherokee was able to kill off the penalty. But just over twelve minutes into the period, Kevin McMahon would score when Frances Garvey won the face off deep in Moorestown's zone. The puck slid back to McMahon who drew his stick back and fired away giving Cherokee the 2-1 lead.

No lead was safe in this game and Moorestown's Colin Corley proved that case when he tied the game 1:19 into the third period. His slap shot bounced in and out of the glove of Broadt and trickled across the goal line. From that point on, both teams began to fire away at the goalies but just could not get that decisive goal. At the end of regulation, Cherokee 2 had out shot Moorestown 31-25 but at that point, both teams were looking for just one more. After killing a power play for Cherokee, Weaver's goal 1:50 into overtime advanced Moorestown even further into the winner's bracket.

Photos by Art Redd

Copyright South Jersey Sports Online Inc.