SJSports Online
High School Boys Lacrosse

High School Girls Lacrosse

Lacrosse Links

High School Lacrosse:
Shawnee's Quest for First Title Ends in Overtime

Wednesday, June 1, 2005

By Clark Washington
SJSports Special Correspondent

It was a game that could have gone either way. Putting their nineteen game winning streak on the line in the semifinals, the Shawnee Renegades were looking to advance to the boy's lacrosse Group IV finals for the first time in their brief three year history. Amazingly, Shawnee has put together a program that could compete with the more experienced teams from the state and it showed on the field, with their final record of the season and the second seed in this year's tournament. The third seeded Montclair squad was out to prove that they deserve a trip to the finals as well. With the final possession at the end of regulation and the first overtime, Shawnee would attempt to win this game during the second overtime period. But with just over a minute and a half remaining in the sudden death period, Montclair’s Ethan Ledley deposited the game winner and end Shawnee's wonderful season with a 9-8 decision.

When Jeremy Golan deposited the ball into the back of the net during the opening minutes of the game for Montclair, the feeling of this game might turn into a shootout would be something different for the Renegades. Shawnee’s defense has been spectacular holding opponents off the scoreboard, but the offense has the firepower to score goals in spurts. Steven Prifte's goal just over a minute later proved that the Renegades had the poise to overcome any deficit. After Golan scored his second goal, Shawnee found themselves trailing at the start of the second quarter. Getting themselves right back into this game, Shawnee went ahead for the first time in this game when #10 scored with 7:03 remaining in the half to lead 3-2. Montclair would work their way for two more goals and led 4-3 at the break.

The momentum swung in the favor of the Renegades as they outscored Montclair four goals to one. Steven Prifte hit the back of the net twice and so did his team Erik Stilley. Shawnee’s two goal led quickly disappear during the fourth quarter when Montclair scored three times in just over two minutes to take a one goal led. With time running out, Prifte pass to Ed Carswell tied this game when he scored with 1:38 remaining. Shawnee would own the final possession of regulation but couldn’t come up with the game winner with twenty seconds left on the clock. Shawnee would be in a similar situation during the first overtime session this time getting two shots at the goal but came up empty.

Photos by Art Redd

Copyright South Jersey Sports Online Inc.