High School Ice Hockey:
Clearview and Township Championship Preview
Thursday, February 24, 2000
By Mike Costantino
SJSports Staff Writer
The top two teams during the regular season will now do battle in the best of three games to determine the SJHSIHL varsity championship with game one scheduled for Friday night at 9:00 at Hollydell. Washington Township, whose only blemishes on an other wise perfect season were two ties, one with Clearview and the other with Eastern, is looking for its first championship in four years. Clearview, suffered only one loss this year to Township, is trying to win its first crown. Lets take a look at the match-up:
- Defense - Clearview's Meenan and Gooch brothers provide the smash, and Anderson and Poletis have the wheels. Slight edge to Clearview.
- Goaltending - Township has Ciccone and Lucas, both solid, however Clearview's Weisenbach is playing better. Edge to Clearview.
- Team Speed - In their sweep of two-time defending champ Eastern, Clearview completely neutralized Becker and Cianfrani. However, Township has more depth and speed. Edge to Township.
- Intangibles - Clearview trying to win first trophy and Township looking to finish unbeaten. Call it even.
- Keys for Township - need to have other players step up as defensive effort will be around Gori, Anderson, Poletis and Pelle. And need key players to avoid silly penalties.
- Keys for Clearview - keeping Meenan and Gooch brothers on the ice and take advantage of power play opportunities.
- Prediction - should be a great series and go three games, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had an overtime or two. Township in three.