SJSports Online
High School Boys Soccer

High School Girls Soccer

Clubs & Associations

Soccer Links

South Jersey Soccer:
Legacy's Mackensie Gets A Late Leveler In Draw in Barons Home Opener

Sunday, May 14, 2006

By Paul O'Donnell
Ocean City Barons Correspondent

The Barons started with a flourish and were rewarded in the 4th minute on a fine piece of skill by Adam Sternberger when his strong left-footed drive was out of the reach of the Legacy's Kris Rake for the opening goal. On a very similar play in the 87th minute the Legacy's Ross Mackensie leveled the match for the 1-1 result.

The opening goal came from a throw and the resulting cross by Heins was headed down by Carmichael in the area when a bit of a scramble resulted near the top of the box. Sternberger making a strong challenge to gain possession got his left foot firmly wrapped around the ball and his well taken shot eluded Rake.

The Barons Rich Baker got off a strong goal bound drive in the 17th that forced a diving save from Rake followed by another effort from Sternberger that found the crossbar in the 19th.

For much of the remainder of the half chances were hard to come by for both sides until just before the break. The flurry started when Sternberger was put thru on the left and when Rake challenged for the ball and came up empty Adam was staring at the gaping and empty net and a last ditch diving challenge from a Legacy defender to his right. The resulting shot sailed over the bar.

The Legacy mounted a response to the let off working hard to level the score and forced a fine diving save from Adam Edwards in the 43rd and at the other end the Barons Ryan Heins got off a goal bound drive that was well saved by Rake in the 45th. A strong header from the Legacy's Taylor Rowe went off the crossbar as stoppage time wound down and the half ended 1-0 Barons.

The stalemate resumed after the break with neither team able to establish a firm grip on the match or generate much of a flow. The first real challenge of the half came from a Legacy free kick that went narrowly over the bar in the 55th.

The Barons brought on Reuben Mingo in the 61st. Mingo was kept out of the starting 11 because of an ankle issue and the Barons were looking to him to provide a new look on the attack. It was however, the Legacy that got off the strongest challenge on goal in the 76th which was well saved by Edwards. The Barons were respeatedly whistled for offsides as Mingo and Carmichael worked to stretch the defense which ended up in one of the key moments of the match in the 81st.

A poor clearance from Rake in the Legacy goal was chested down by Carmichael who established control as he broke in alone. As Rake came out to challenge Carmichael's low drive beat the keeper to his left but the shot glanced off the post and out.

In the 87th another strong throw by the Legacy was headed down finding Mackensie near the top of the box and his strong shot found net and the match was level.

There was one final moment of drama as the Barons pressed for the winner in stoppage time. The Barons were awarded an indirect free kick in the area to the right of Rake's goal but the resulting effort by Heins sailed harmlessly high over the bar and the match ended in the 1-1 stalemate.

The Barons go on the road for two next weekend; West Va Chaos (Fri) and the Va Beach Submariners (Sun) before coming home on the 26th for the match against Albany. Plan to kickoff your Memorial Day Weekend with that Friday night match at Carey Field.

Copyright South Jersey Sports Online Inc.