SJSports Online
High School Boys Soccer

High School Girls Soccer

Clubs & Associations

Soccer Links

South Jersey Soccer:
Barons pick up first win of 2006
Ortiz scores both goals in 2-0 victory over Albany

Friday, May 26, 2006

By Josh Hakala
Ocean City Barons Director of Public Relations

OCEAN CITY, NJ - Desperate for a win, the Ocean City Barons delivered with a 2-0 home victory over the Albany Admirals on Friday night. Second half substitute, Jeremy Ortiz ended the Barons’ 336-minute scoreless streak with a strike in the 69th minute, and later added an insurance goal in stoppage time. Adam Edwards was rarely tested in goal, making three saves to record his first clean sheet, while helping to extend the Barons’ regular season home unbeaten streak to 25 games.

The game changed dramatically in the 59th minute when Albany defender Rob Sgueglia was sent off for his second yellow card. After that, the Barons were able to take advantage of the shorthanded Admirals, and earned all three points.

“We were desperate for a win,” said head coach Neil Holloway. “The game wasn’t the best game we’ve ever played. It wasn’t pretty, but we’ll take it.”

The first half was rather sluggish for both squads, neither team really taking control of the match. The best chance for the visitors came in the 5th minute when Peter Sgueglia broke in on goal. He broke through the defense, but wasn’t able to get a good enough shot off and Edwards was able to make the save. After the play, Sgueglia limped off the field, and after making an attempt to continue, he was forced to exit the game in the 11th minute.

Less than ten minutes later, Byron Carmichael found himself one on one with Albany goalkeeper Peter Capiello, and he made himself big enough to make the breakaway save, and keep the score sheet blank.

A halftime substitution nearly paid off immediately when LaSalle University product, Jeremy Ortiz headed home a cross by Carmichael less than two minutes into the second half. The goal celebration was underway, the public address announcer was screaming “GOAL!”, and the fans were going crazy. That was until everyone noticed that the offside flag had gone up on the far side of the field.

The Admirals had survived an early onslaught in the second frame, until Rob Sgueglia of Albany was sent off, dropping the visitors to 10-men in the 59th minute. Ortiz took advantage nearly 20 minutes later, but this time he would stay onside and head home a cross from Holloway, ending the Barons’ scoreless streak at 336 minutes. They hadn’t scored a goal since Adam Sternberger buried the first goal of the home opener in the 3rd minute back on May 13.

Ortiz struck again in second half stoppage time, but the majority of the credit goes to AJ Colubiale who used his fresh legs and blazing speed to blow by his defender, run onto the ball on the wing, avoid a second defender and crossed the ball to Ortiz, who converted on his second tally of the night.

Copyright South Jersey Sports Online Inc.