SJSports Online

South Jersey Soccer:
Vineland Hurricanes Win Tournament

Monday, May 31, 1999

By Jerry Amari
SJSports Special Correspondent

The Vineland Hurricanes (U-12 boys) were here to defend their 1998 crown at the 1999 Vineland Memorial Day Tournament. Their first challenger was the Cherry Hill Demons. The Saturday morning match saw the Hurricanes control the early action. Shots by Mike Amari, Billy Redden and Steve Bond missed their mark. 23 minutes into the match, Kerry Daplyn finished a pass from Mike Amari to give a the 'Canes a 1-0 lead. Bobby Rupp scored the second goal for Vineland. A Steve Bond blast hit the crossbar and Billy Redden knocked in the rebound (3-0). Cherry Hill got on the scoreboard 3-1. The Hurricanes then exploded for three more tallies. Goals by Redden, and two by Bond sent the Demons packing. Evan Bostrom was excellent in goal for Vineland. Final score 6-1.

The Hurricane's second game was against the Upper Twp. Raptors. In the hot afternoon sun, both coaches substituted freely. Bob Rupp started the game for Vineland as goalie. In less than 10 minutes, Vineland's Saverio Brunetti launched a 25 yard rocket into the goal for a 1-0 Hurricane lead. Also Vineland had several opportunities, the 'Canes could not expand their advantage. With 11 minutes left in the half, the Raptors tied the game at 1-1. In the second half, the well conditioned Vineland squad took control. On two well timed passes, Steve Bond sent the ball to center halfback Billy Redden, Redden put the ball right on the foot of forward Kerry Daplyn, who made Vineland's second goal of the match. Three minutes later the Hurricane's Chris Downey dribbled around a Raptor defender and launched the ball into the net for a 3-1 lead. Downey's play moments later created another score. Downey "crossed" the ball to Billy Redden in front of the goal. Redden "headed" the ball into the near side of the net for the final tally of the 4-1 victory.

In the championship match, the Hurricanes met the Medford Striker Sharks at Gittone Stadium. The Hurricanes definitely met their match with the talented Sharks. Both teams moved the ball at their opponents' net, but no shots crossed the line in the first half. (Saverio Brunnetti's shot for Vineland soared over the crossbar, defenseman Nick Ruskoski last second sweep at a Medford shot kept the score at 0-0). Goalie Bob Rupp made key saves to turn Medford away. Shortly into the second half (4 minutes) the Sharks struck with a high shot off of a cornerkick. Just 3 minutes later, the Hurricane's Steve Bond sprinted by three defensemen and took a point blank shot at the goal. The Medford goalie stopped the ball, but the rebound went to the hustling Kerry Daplyn. Daplyn's rebound was good and the match was tied at 1-1. Both teams missed chances, Billy Redden shot was over the net. Steve Bond had another run at the goal, but his low roller didn't cross the line before a Shark defenseman snapped the ball out of harms way.

Both teams started to look fatigued by the heat. The championship match must be played till a winner was crowned. Both teams played through two scoreless overtimes. Now the match would be decided on Penalty Kicks. Both teams made their first three kicks (Vineland's scores were by Billy Redden, Kerry Daplyn, and Chris Downey). Then Hurricane goalie Bob Rupp came up with his biggest save of the season. He stopped a hard shot by Medford. Next Nick Ruskoski converted the next P.K. for Vineland for a 4-3 lead. Now all the pressure was on Medford. Their last kick rolled harmlessly wide and the Hurricanes celebrated another championship. The Vineland defense of Mike Rigo, Ryan Gregor, Evan Bostrom, Nick Ruskoski and goalkeeper Bob Rupp had won the tournament for the Hurricanes.

Click Here for more articles and tournament information.

©1999 South Jersey Sports Online